This website uses Cookies.

  • 1865 – Act of Parliament authorising the Balerno Branch Line received Royal assent. Water of Leith villages each have populations of 100 – 150. 40+ mills active.
  • 1869 – Caledonian Railway Company, having misappropriated the relevant funds, seeks to abandon the project.
  • 1870 – New Bill in Parliament. Deadline of 1872 set for completion of railway.
  • 1874 – Line opens, twenty months late. 5 miles from Slateford to Balerno. Balerno Pug – custom-built locomotives and rolling stock. Journey time to Princes Street Station 15 minutes – vs. over an hour on horseback.
  • 1880 – eight services daily.
  • 1896 – twelve services daily. Local tourism, picnics and outings in the country increasingly popular – line known as the “picnic line”.
  • 1900 - 1920’s – 21 passenger trains daily. The line was the single major catalyst for the growth of Pentlands villages into residential communities. Limited bus services to Colinton began in 1920, Currie/Balerno in 1922. Trams 1928 to 1955.
  • 1943 – Rail passenger services cease.
  • 4th December 1967 all services cease. Line closes.

small blueWe are a Scottish Charity, SC048476, regulated by the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) 

 facebook icon  twitter icon